Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » News and Updates

Post subject: Looking for volunteers.
 Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:05 pm 
Lead Developer

http://thefarwilds.com/images/volunteers_news5.pngWe are looking for volunteers, that can help The Far Wilds project grow.

If you are willing to help and have some text writing or development skills visit our forum for details.

Here is a list of things that you may be able to help with:

1. English texts writing/refining:
Rewrite/refine various texts, written in not very good English (by me). This includes news, change logs, in-game texts.
This role requires little time, but regularly. (several times per month I guess)

2. Art for UI.
Create or improve art, such as icons, skins for buttons and other controls.
This role could be either one time task or some regular tasks whenever you want.

3. Texts writing for campaigns:
Compose campaign texts, make campaign stories.
This role requires more time.

4. Adobe flex/flash development:
Improve or modify in-game UI using adobe flex and actionscript 3.
This role could be either one time fix/changes or some regular tasks whenever you want to help or more constant task.

5. Adobe flex/flash and Adobe AIR development on mobile platforms (and may be Mac OS X):
Help with porting game client to Android/iOS using Adobe AIR.
I have already achieved some results on android which should also apply for iOS, but there is much more to do.
This role require one long time work and then might turn into role #3.

6. Campaign development using AngelScript:
Create new campaigns, based on your ideas and (optionally) input from other developers about what to do.

7. C++ development:
Help improve or fix cards logic, battle logic or AI.
This role requires much more skills and time than previous roles.

8. Erlang development:
Help improve server side logic (everything except things from #6).
This role requires much more skills and time than previous roles.

9. Other:
If you want to help with something else, please contact me as well.

Although this work is on a volunteer basis, we will reward efforts with our in-game currency (gold).
Code will be peer-reviewed by me and I will try to provide helpful feedback.
If you are willing to get something else in exchange for your help this can be discussed. Maybe there are other good motivations that I missed -- tell me about them (even if you are not planning to take part yourself).

Contact me here in forums
or by email: altren(at)thefarwilds.com
or by Skype: Alt_ren
or by ICQ: 291841364
or in game

Post subject: Re: Looking for volunteers.
 Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:28 am 

Oh yeah...

I can do:

English text writing/refining
Adobe Flash/FLEX... I did learn the basics but was never actually ever able to use it. If you need some help I can get up to speed on that and then just learn more advanced items as I go on (or just base them off existing code)

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:16 pm 

Altren,

Great to see that you (and others?) are still working on this. I have no skills whatsoever when it comes to technical aspects so can't help much there. If there is anything else you want me to do, however, let me know. Just drop me a PM.

Also, I have no idea whether you have posted this announcement eleswhere, but I venture to guess that it would be profitable to post it on various programming forums (that is how you found it yourself in the first place, right?). Would look good on a CV to have contributed to this, if even only on a voluntary basis.

Cheers!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:04 pm 

I'm a noob programmer.

But I'm willing to work for gold and programming experience. I guess I can give the scenarios another try. My last attempt ended badly.

Edit: American english is my native language. I can help with that maybe? I'll start checking here more regularly in case there's something specific to do.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:26 pm 
Lead Developer

Actually I'm trying to manually contact most people in game, and then give tasks based on skills and what they want to do.
Better contact me in game or via Skype/ICQ to discuss your skills, so we can find best tasks for you. Also wrote you PM.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:34 pm 

I can do this below and the one with the texts..
Actually, i could translate the card texts to Portuguese and Spanish if u think its usefull...
Theres the trick with the AngelScript, i dont know the language, but i could do something, at least give ideas about campains and his mechanics.

I really believe thats a good idea that you try a croudfrunding for this game! Theres a lot of them, u dont have anything to loose ! A lot of work is already done, and you can spare a lot of money to do it! I whould love to be one of the founders of the idea !

My country has at least 2 , and in US theres much more.. we can try everywere or just in one place!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:23 pm 

At this point in web tech...
couldn't you just make TFW with just html 5 (canvas), javascript, and a database (and maybe webGL)?

but seriously I think this game would do really awesome on the app store if it was ios compatible. gold and/or packs could be an in app purchase.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:22 am 
Lead Developer

About html5 and stuff - technically rewriting client without using Flash/Flex is possible, but this will be much more complex, than doing same task with flex and will require few or several human-months of work. So result not worth trying.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:38 am 

I could help with writing.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:00 am 

Randomly happened to stop by-- glad to see the website is still up. I had more time for these ideas back in my FTW hayday, but these days I am overwhelmed with my own projects.

While campaign design would certainly look cool on my "gaming resume", I don't think I can afford the time when I have so many other things in process.

Board index » News and Updates