Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Strategy & Army Construction

Post subject: Friendly decks
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:23 pm 

I just constructed a friendly deck - that is, a deck that's nice to play vs inexperienced players. My criterias were:
1. Slow. Let the opponent start buidling at least something before the fury is unleashed.
2. Foreshadowing. No sudden Lysis or Dispel Flux. An experienced player expects these cards, but for a new player they come out of the bklue and ruin the fun. First establish the threat, then put it into work. That means creatures rather than spells.
3. Only soft breaking of the rules. Half the fun in TFW is in creating decks that breaks the usual flow of events, but not in this deck.
4. Weak. I ended up with a somewhat strong deck, breaking this rule, but it might be better to handicap yourself and take the opportunity to go for the odd combos.

Anyone else have fgood friendly deck? Any thoughts on the criterias?

- - - -
Buildings: (8x)
1x Graveyard
1x Walled Outpost
2x Hadarck's Fort
1x Foul Obelisk
1x Ronk's Factory
1x Dwarven Hall
1x Bone Fortress

Creatures: (25x)
1x Stone Mason
1x Glorn Airship
1x Medium of the 3rd Circle
1x Galog Bullfrog
1x Lawn Gargoyle
1x Crypt Doctor
1x Stalking Spirit
1x Stone Mauler
1x KDPW Levy Corps
1x Epic Veteran
1x Clay Ram
1x Stomachless Ghoul
1x Crushing Wheel
1x Soul Broker
1x Naga Sentinel
1x Bloodling
1x Tangler
1x Hell Cat
2x Putrid Zombie
3x Red Imp
1x Axe Captain
1x Carrion Feeder

Enchants: (5x)
1x Training
1x Shroud of Blackness
1x Nightmares
1x Black Plague
1x Planar Rift

Spells: (2x)
1x Grave Summoning
1x Reanimate

Total: 40

Post subject: Re: Friendly decks
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:49 pm 
Lead Developer

I like your idea. What I usually do is use highly experimental and untested decks, but those are usually either very strong (if worked) or boring.
I think I'll build few such decks, but what I think is that combos should be in there to show new player that you can do some fancy things in this game - preferably combos that are not strong, but interesting to new player and also might show new player some way to "break" game rules.

What about this particular deck - I think you should use more enchantments in it and less creatures, since good player can win using wise tactics even with few creatures, and with many creatures your deck seems to be too "stable" and too strong in terms or creatures.

Also one more thing is that using so many different cards might confuse new player, since he usually need to read and try to understand each. From the other hand this might be a way to show variety of cards.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:30 pm 

You're probably right about the creatures. I'm trying out a green deck instead, focusing on fun combos like long root + owl.

Using windreader and owl could also provide a lesson in the point of sight range. Startigng to understand what things look like for your opponent is one of the best steps on the learning curve of TFW. I remember getting my creatures handed right back to me by experienced players simply because of that back in the days :-)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:55 pm 

Honestly I just play whatever. I've been known to throw purposely though. But if I were to build a deck to play against noobs I would use cards they have. That way they say "hey, I can do that to."

Mosslight Slor -> Shielded Warrior -> Horns to Hide -> etc

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 am 

I usually just use a Default deck...Im lame. Maybe I will build a new-player deck

Board index » Strategy & Army Construction