Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Game Talk

Post subject: Re: Is this game still around? If not, can I buy it?
 Post Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:10 am 
Lead Developer

I do work on a game from time to time.
Since flash is no longer viable technology I'm recreating UI from scratch (I underestimated this task initially, it is huge).
I can't give you any estimations or promises though since all this goes as a hobby project rather than a full-time development (I do have well paid full-time job as the R&D team lead at GeoCV).
I know how much work needs to be done to make it running again (rewrite UI from scratch, do all legal stuff to enable payments, implement payments, add tutorials/campaigns), and I understand that this can't be done by some enthusiasts by opening the source code and also can't be done if someone buys the project for a low price and/or without my support on it.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:25 am 

hey all, happy to have found this thread. hope to catch you all online some day. maybe let's try to set up a reunion time :)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:56 pm 

So I've recently gotten into board game design more seriously and was wondering about the possibilities of implementing TFW physically. Is that something that jed/Altren might be interested in? Collaboration/Blessing? Licensing if picked up by a publisher?

Hit a bit of a roadblock in my efforts to create a full proof of concept when I realized that I can't find info on a lot of the Boarderland cards (especially Imperium). Any help with that?

(of course I own a Mac now and no PC access, so I can't do the easy thing and log back into my game account...)

Thanks!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:15 pm 
Lead Developer

Replied in PM. Short answer is that it would be good if someone makes a board game, but I'm definitely not going to do this myself, because I understand how big the task is.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:42 pm 

I have been checking in every so often as well hoping the game would pick up again. Is there anything that can be done to help get the new version up and running? I want to try to help as this is one of my favorite games.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:42 am 

I also continue to check in.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:32 am 

Yes, someone should definitely do something with this game. I still think this is the best game I've ever played.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:22 pm 
The Dark Platypus

Altren wrote:
I do work on a game from time to time.
Since flash is no longer viable technology I'm recreating UI from scratch (I underestimated this task initially, it is huge).
I can't give you any estimations or promises though since all this goes as a hobby project rather than a full-time development (I do have well paid full-time job as the R&D team lead at GeoCV).
I know how much work needs to be done to make it running again (rewrite UI from scratch, do all legal stuff to enable payments, implement payments, add tutorials/campaigns), and I understand that this can't be done by some enthusiasts by opening the source code and also can't be done if someone buys the project for a low price and/or without my support on it.

Where are we currently at with this?
What's the UI being recreated in?
How much do you currently want for TFW? I still want to make this happen.

|| The Rise of the DCC | Plasmatium Netherious | Tastes Like Chicken | The Astridian Conspiracy ||

Guild -> | Platypus Rising|

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:09 am 
Lead Developer

Keyser wrote:
The UI is is rewritten in C++, and it runs in web browser well. Also the "web" battle display version no longer needed and everything is rendered same on desktop and web clients (i.e. uses 3d graphics from the old desktop version). There are several screens which are not re-implemented so far, such as tournaments and scenarios, but the main things (army, market, battle) are done and working. One of the new tasks, that is not solved yet is a content streaming, because even 100Mb of data is too big to be downloaded at start (100Mb is the current game assets size after a couple of optimisations).

Keyser wrote:
I'm open for discussion, but I'd prefer email for this topic.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:54 pm 
The Dark Platypus

Altren wrote:
Keyser wrote:
The UI is is rewritten in C++, and it runs in web browser well. Also the "web" battle display version no longer needed and everything is rendered same on desktop and web clients (i.e. uses 3d graphics from the old desktop version). There are several screens which are not re-implemented so far, such as tournaments and scenarios, but the main things (army, market, battle) are done and working. One of the new tasks, that is not solved yet is a content streaming, because even 100Mb of data is too big to be downloaded at start (100Mb is the current game assets size after a couple of optimisations).

Keyser wrote:
I'm open for discussion, but I'd prefer email for this topic.

Fantastic. Where can we play the new version? (When I click "play" on the main page it wants me to download flash still.

PM me your desired email address?

|| The Rise of the DCC | Plasmatium Netherious | Tastes Like Chicken | The Astridian Conspiracy ||

Guild -> | Platypus Rising|

Board index » Game Talk